Jul 17, 2014

Sense, Learn, Play: Play Dough

Way back when I did another Sense, Learn, Play about apple pie spice play dough. I learned then that Addison didn't care about play dough. She was too young or just didn't have the interest. She wanted to eat it or watch me throw it up into the air over and over again. So I just packed it away and knew that we would be able to pull it out again one day but that was not the day. Months later I did it again with the same results. So again I packed it away.

But now I have a 21 month old, and a need to fill up our hot summer days. We play outside, we read books, we try to keep ourselves busy. But Addison was getting antsy inside and we needed something new.

So again I pulled out the play dough, and amazingly it was just a soft as the day I made it. I figured it wouldn't hut to give it a shot. And it turned out to be a hit. She loved the play dough. Especially when we combined it with cookie cutters.

At first she wasn't sure, but over time she became more comfortable and tried to mimic my actions. I would put a cookie cutter into the play dough and she would try to do the same. She was definitely interested.

But all we had was that one, so I went digging through some things I packed away for another day and found some store bought play dough. Unfortunately they were all dried up, so I decided to make more.

Using the same recipe as before but leaving out the apple pie spice and adding different food coloring, I made four more colors.

Homemade Play Dough:
1 cup water
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup flour
1/3 cup salt
1 heaping tbsp. cream of tarter
Food coloring

Mix all but food coloring together in a sauce pan for 3-4 minutes over medium heat. It will start chunky but will smooth out. Put the ball of dough on a cutting board (I used wax paper) and flatten to cool. When it's cool enough to touch, add drops of food coloring. Use a metal spoon or your hands and knead the dough until it's the color you want. Store in an airtight container.








It's really easy to make and seem to stay good longer than the store bought stuff.

I might do more playing with play dough than Addison, but it's growing on her. She seems to be having more fun with it and more interested in it than she used to. She's learning and playing. And hey she's touching play dough and that's huge since she hates touching things.








I highly recommend making your own play dough. It's easy to do. You probably already have all the stuff you need to do this - well, maybe not the cream of tarter but that's easy to get in your spice section of your grocery store. It's definitely worth with all the hours of fun you'll have ahead of you.


4 comments:

  1. Isn't homemade playdough the best? My son is three and playdough is still one of his favorite activities. But it has to happen in the kitchen because it is MESSY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade is so much better than store bought! We play over our hardwood because I dread the day when I see play dough in the carpet!

      Delete
  2. My Ethan is still at the eat-it stage, but I'll have to bookmark this for later. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addison went through that stage too. She actually put some in the mouth yesterday, made a face, took it back out of her mouth all wet and put it in my hand. I guess she decided it wasn't that great. Definitely come back to it. I forgot how much fun play dough is!

      Delete

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...