Feb 2, 2012

Line'em Up

Remember when I referred to this mystery project in 'The Jagged State of Things'? Well, the wait is over, and I finally completed my other project. And guess where I got the idea from? Oh, come on, I'll give you one guess. It's easy I promise. Yup, Pinterest. Big surprise right? The thing about Pinterest is that you keep collecting all these ideas but it's no good if you don't do a project here or there. And so far this week, I've done two. Look at me go. Again, Rob doesn't get it. But they're fun and look how pretty the apartment looks. I like having a project. I like having something to work towards - but that's another post, another day.

Okay, well, that's not mine. That's just where I got the idea from. I liked it. It's abstract. It's simple. So I thought, surely this is something I can do. Surely I can do this without messing it up....too badly. Initially I had decided to do one project, but apparently it's my lucky week and I got two for the price of one. Don't ya love when you feel inspired?

So the first step? Gather the supplies. That seems simple enough. I chose a smaller canvas. I originally was going to use the canvas for the state project, but decided I really wanted the glass frame, which is how I ended up with an extra canvas and decided to go ahead and do this other project as well.


The next step in this crazy easy project is basically to just use masking tape and tape lines on your canvas. You do want to make sure that you get all the way around the edge so that the lines all flow together. But mostly with this part, you just put lines on the canvas, as many as you want or as few as you want.


And then you paint. In the original one from Pinterest, they spray painted. Btu I decided I didn't want to do that. I had nowhere to spray paint and I just don't really care of spray painting really. So I chose paint. Which brings me to my next point on color. And that basically is that you can chose whatever color you want. Wait, what? The funny part of me making that comment is that I really didn't end up the exact color I wanted. I wanted something closer to the to picture. Something a little more gray, a little darker. But the color I ended up with was lighter and bluer. I still like it but not exactly the color I was originally wanting.

But what you get to the above point with the masking tape and you have picked your color, then you paint (or spray paint). You just want to make sure you get all the white areas.


Then you wait. This is really the worst part of the deal. I always hate the waiting. I want to see what it looks like. If it looks okay. Or how I messed up my project this time. My paint bottle says to wait an hour before putting on a second coat, so I figured that I should wait an hour before pulling off the tape.

So I sat patiently watching a movie from the 90s with the canvas drying on the table in front of me, calling my name to pull off the tape. And that was all before my husband got home and I decided I wanted to see if I could get it a little dark by putting on another coat. So there was another hour of my life with the canvas calling my name: "Take the tape off - you know you want to!" It's a mean canvas. But as a side bonus, while I waited for the canvas to dry, I got to watch my husband cook dinner, and watching him cook is always a treat.

So the moment we have definitely all been waiting for....drum roll please.


Ta Da!


There are a few imperfections but I learned from Julia Child to never apologize. Granted when she said to never apologize, she was talking about food and cooking, but I'm making it apply to this situations. I think it actually turned out really well despite my few imperfections. Just don't look too hard for them, okay?

But seriously, overall I love the way it turned out. Again, in this picture it looks a little bluer than it really is but that's because I'm using my flash on my camera. It's not as gray or as dark as I would have liked it but I still really like it. It's different. It's abstract.


So what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...