May 6, 2013

A Farewell

Last Monday, my grandpa passed away. He had just celebrated his 90th birthday on April 24th. And this last Saturday, his family and friends came together to not just say goodbye but also celebrate his life and who he was. Although I didn't know much about him - the 26 years that I have been alive is just a small portion of his life - there are a few things about him that I did know:

I knew that every time he got into the swimming pool, he would always say that it needed to be one degree warmer.

I knew that he liked to go to Branson, MO and see all some shows. He would also go down to our family lake week for at least a couple days even though it was usually hot and miserable.

I knew that he really loved his cat, Fluffy.

I knew that he liked to go to the center and walk around then he would find a bench, sit, and talk to other vets and anyone else who was willing to talk sometimes.

I knew he liked to play bridge.

I knew that he was a WWII vet having served in the Army Air Corps.

I knew that he liked Bob Evans. And that he liked taking his family out to eat.

I knew that he was so happy that I loved the china he gave me and Rob for our wedding. It was the china that he had given my grandma when they were married, and it really meant a lot to me that he would give the set to me.

I knew that he loved his trip to Washington D.C. and being able to go on the Honor Flight.

I knew that he liked to dance.

I knew that he had lots of people who loved him.

In the whole scheme of things, I didn't know much, and this is barely a picture of who he was. But I'm lucky I had him as a grandfather. I'm lucky that I knew him. He was kind. He was well-loved. And he will be missed.


So farewell to great man who had a great life, a great family, who was greatly loved, and loved greatly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...