Mar 19, 2014

Does Anyone Actually Like Cleaning?

So spring is here. I think officially it's here tomorrow but close enough. Spring is here! And that means it's time to clean. Man, that sounds depressing. I've been inside all winter long because of cold weather and now to be stuck inside to clean. That doesn't sound fun at all.

But the truth is that things collect it seems over winter. And now is the time to get motivated and get cleaning out. We like to make sure we aren't collecting things and just have them sitting around. We try not to keep things because we "might use it someday." We try not to keep unnecessary things around. Which means that we do have to clean out every now again. And it's not fun, but it has to be done. And with this nicer weather, I'm feeling motivated (maybe that's why everyone cleans in the spring?!) so we are doing some seriously cleaning around this house.

Plus, this house is just a mess. Things have been busy and while Rob was gone I wasn't big on cleaning. The truth is that while Rob was gone I did the dishes, I picked up toys, but as far as deep cleaning it just didn't happen. I was doing everything I could just to survive three weeks and by nap time I was ready for a nap myself (I had a cold for pretty much the entire time he was gone), and by eight when she went to bed I was ready to go to bed. So deep cleaning just didn't happen.

But now it has to happen. Time to not live in the mess. Cleaning is not fun. Thinking about cleaning is not fun. Writing about cleaning is not fun. For me, there is nothing about cleaning that is fun in the slightest. Because of that I can always find something else to do: work on my blog, read blogs, read a book, take a nap, watch a movie, baking, you name it I would do it in replace of cleaning. Often times the problem becomes that there is so much to do and I just don't know where to start. So I decided the only solution is to actually make a list.

I pulled out my handy-dandy notebook and started making a list.


I figured out that I had to start somewhere. Of course my list ended up being three pages, but we don't exactly have a small house. And there are rooms that we don't use actively now that has become a dropping ground or boxes were put there from when we moved (almost two years ago now!) that I need to go through. Truthfully most of that stuff will be going to Goodwill since it's been almost two years and we haven't needed/used it yet, so we probably don't need it now.

It's definitely harder to get things done when Addison is awake. I can usually work in whatever room she's playing in but I am still somewhat limited. And there are days when I can get nothing done because Addison wants nothing but my attention, which is fine and she gets it on those days. There's no sense in fighting and why would I do something I don't enjoy when my kid wants me?! I would be crazy!

I have started knocking things off my list. It's going slowly, but it's going. Everyday I try to pick a room and get some things done in that room. It's really the only way to do it. I try not to overwhelm myself by taking on too much at once.

Anyone else doing some major spring cleaning this year? How do you go about it?

Happy Cleaning!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...