Oct 17, 2014

Two Years In // Happy Friday

I have been a mom for two years. My little girl isn't so little. She's growing up too quickly. But I have learned a lot in those two years and here's some gems to round out this second birthday extravaganza!

+ Kids are noisy sometimes. The grocery store isn't a library so if she chatters and squeals and laughs it is okay. There is a time and place for her to scream out of delight, but it doesn't mean she has to be a church mouse all the time. That's not realistic!

+ I don't embarrass so easily anymore. So many people have seen me dance and sing and jump around and any number of things in public in order to entertain my kid. It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks especially if my kid is happy and laughing.

+ Routines are super important. But flexibility is also important. Be consistent but know that sometimes things don't go exactly like you plan and that's okay. (This one is hard for me still!)

+ Kids do things exactly when they want. Addie has taught me that over and over and over again.
Cough-walking-cough.


+ It's okay to get frustrated. It doesn't make me a bad mom. It makes me human. I have bad days just like anyone else and that's okay. You do what you have to sometimes just to get through the day and that's the way it is.

+ It's not all rainbows and butterflies. Raising a kid is hard and sometimes it is so boring. Getting handed thing over and over for hours on end is enough to drive anyone a little crazy.

+ Sometimes I throw away a crazy amount of food and it makes me so frustrated and sad. She will try to pull a fast one on me by telling me she's finished then asking for a snack twenty minutes later. I have learned to keep her food for about twenty minutes so that's her only option for food if she suddenly decides she's "hungry." Kids are tricky like that.

+ If I'm not advocating for my kid then who is?

+ Trust my instincts. This has been the biggest thing for me. There has been a couple things that I didn't think was the way it was supposed to be or whatever, and I started asking and I have been right. I was always afraid before she was born about having maternal instincts and that I would be bad at figuring these things out, but all those instincts just kicked in and there is nothing like a mother's instincts when it comes to her kid.

+ The weirdest things can be toys. Why have I even bothered with buying her anything? Things that seems so simple and everyday to me is a whole new adventure to Addie. And as much as I can I let her explore and figure things out. How else is she supposed to find out about the world around her? (Turns out Addie loves playing with uncooked pasta! Who knew? I used food coloring to match her bowls and she'll sit on the floor while I cook dinner and sort out the noodles. Keeps her attention longer than a lot of her toys!)

+ Be prepared. If that means a snack or a drink or a book or a toy. If I'm leaving the house, I like to know where I'm going (duh!) and take inventory of what I need. I like to plan for the worst case scenario. Although I will admit it has gotten easier as she has gotten older. 

I'm sure I have learned a lot more things, but let's be honest, I have a two year old and I'm already feeling pretty frazzled these days. Maybe I'll come up with a whole new list when she turns three. Wait, what? On her next birthday she'll be three?! 


Have a great weekend!

Happy Friday! 


1 comment:

  1. Happy 2nd Birthday, Addison! Time sure is flying by. Easton would have loved her Mickey Mouse birthday party!

    ReplyDelete

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...