Jan 12, 2015

From Seuss to Shakespeare

For the last 26 months of Addison's life she has lived in the yellow room, decorated with dots, bright colors and a Dr. Seuss quote. But recently Addison has made the big move. The days of that bright yellow room is behind her and she now lives in a room with gray-blue walls with a pink Shakespeare quote. Okay, so there's more to the room than just a Shakespeare quote, but for dramatic effect you get it.

The room she was in is a small room, perfect for a nursery. And that's what we wanted to keep it as. So when we decided to start trying to get pregnant, I wanted to start working on that room so we could move Addison to that new room in plenty of time before the new baby so she wouldn't feel like she was getting kicked out. Of course our timeline changed quite a bit after the first miscarriage. But we decided to stick with our original plan and move her when we planned.

I will admit that I was a little sad to move her from her little yellow room, the first in the house that I added our own touch to. Her first "home."


But I was excited to move her. I loved how the formerly purple room came together and took on a whole new life.

For awhile the room was a catch-all room. But finally we cleaned it out other than toys and opened it for Addison to play with and get used to the room. My biggest debate was if I was going to keep the purple. I went back and forth for a long time. Sometimes I thought I wanted to keep it and let Addison decide later when she's older. Or should I just paint it now and that's that.

Since I wasn't sure, we moved on with other things that needed to be done with the room. We switched out all the outlets and the light switch with white and got rid of that horrible off-white. We also got her a bookshelf for the room and a dresser (I had pictures of Rob putting the dresser together but when I dropped my computer back in August, those were some of the pictures I lost.).




Finally I made the decision to paint it. Honestly some of that decision was made after my first miscarriage. I decided I hated the purple and I needed a project to keep myself busy. So I started prepping the room and in a weekend I got the room painted.




I chose a blue-grey color, with a bit more blue than grey. The color is hard to see on screen thanks to crappy lighting but I'll tell you it's a pretty color.

I was definitely happy I went with painting it. The other reason behind why I decide to paint was because when I was trying to figure out what else I wanted to do with the room I couldn't come up with anything that went with the purple. By going with this color, I could go any direction. But of course I already had an idea when I painted the room.

But first I had to paint the closet. The closet was painted purple just like the room, and I couldn't stand it. Honestly I don't understand painting the close the same color as the room. I'm a neutral color closet color kind of girl. So I had to paint it. That took me a heck of a lot longer than painting the room because I kept putting it off. But it took a morning of painting and it was done. I chalk up putting it off to ol' good laziness.

Then I started putting the room together. And with each thing I added it, the more I loved the room.









Like I said the move to her big girl room was a little sad for me because I have a big girl. She's not my little baby anymore! I guess that means I can go on to my next project: painting her old room, which I was going to pick a gender neutral color because I wanted to paint now while I can before pregnant. I just have to decide what color I want to paint. For now, I'm going to just love how this room has turned out for my big girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...