Feb 12, 2012

A Very DIY Valentine's: Part One

Oh, it’s that time again. Valentine’s Day. Seriously, who doesn’t love this time of the year? Flowers. Chocolate. Presents. Fancy dinners. Okay, so maybe this time of the year is also overrated and stressful. And I mean that with all the love in the world.

I really wanted to do something creative for Rob for V-Day and compliments to pinterest for giving me an idea that I loved from the moment I saw it. I found this idea a while back and I’m so excited to finally do it. The hardest part for me is to keep this idea a secret from the hubs. I hate finding an idea that I love then not being able to share it. Which may I say is a good thing that I want to tell the man I married everything, right? If I didn’t want to share it with him then something might be wrong? Just guessing there. So keeping this a secret – especially since I worked so hard on it – was so hard for me. And since he’s a faithful reader of my blog, I had to wait to even post this until after our Valentine’s Day because what fun would it be for him to see what he’s getting before he gets it.

So what is my brilliant idea? A deck of cards. Yup, folk, you heard it right! A deck of cards. Every time we have ever gone anywhere, I get postcards and maybe a t-shirt and he gets different decks of cards. We even have a Pirates of Caribbean deck of cards. So I found this perfect. What guy doesn’t want his own personalized deck? Okay, so his picture is not on every card, but every card has a reason why I love him. So apparently I found 52 reasons why I love him. That’s gotta be a good sign for the future of our relationship too, right?

And now, just because you are the few lucky readers of my blog I’m going to give you step by step instructions of how to make your very own “52 Reasons Why I Love You” deck of cards for that oh-so-special-person in your life.

This is where we begin our choose-your-own-adventure portion of this blog. The extra deck of cards we had sitting around were so brand new that they were even still in the plastic. And I really didn’t want that the brand new look. I wanted an aged, worn look. So if you are interested in that brand new look, skip ahead to Step Two. But if you are interested in making your new cards look worn and beat-up, keep reading. Choose your adventure now!

Step One
Dunk each card in turn into water and use a sponge to rough-up the card. I chose to just do the non-number side. By getting them wet, they started curling, which made them no longer stiff and definitely worn. I loved the look that they had after I did this process.


Step Two
After letting them dry, I used one of the other cards that I wouldn’t be using to punch holes in the cards as my template so all my holes in the same place on the cards. This was a long progress and it started hurting my hand after awhile using the hole-punch.


Step Three
I made the “reasons” on my computer. I printed them on cardstock so it wasn’t just plain, light-weight paper. Then I cut them out set them to the side for when I needed them. Which strangely enough is the next step.


Step Four
I decided to use Mod Podge as my glue. I put it on the back of the “reason” then put it on the number-side of the card. I then used the Mod Podge on the front side of the “reasons” to seal it. If I thought the hole punching was a slow progress, that’s nothing compared to the this part. At least with the hole punching I did them two at a time. But this part was way worse. You can only do one at a time with this progress. Slow, slow, slow. But well worth it.


Step Five
Stack up the cards – in the correct order – and get binder rings. Then – duh – put them on the rings.


Then - wala – all done! And may I say that it turned out awesome! My very own DIY Valentine present. I’m pretty proud of this one. I don’t fancy myself any kind of craftyness at all. Did that sentence even make sense? All I know, is that every project that I have ever attempted have not turned out like I have wanted. But this one, this one has turned out exactly like I wanted. It’s priceless and perfect, if I do say so myself.

And so how did he like it? Well of course he loved it! Did you seriously doubt that he would? It was a pretty good pre-Valentine's Day if I do say so. But of course I didn't just make this and throw it at him and that be that. Nope, there was a whole day of us together but do you really think I'm going to tell you in this blog? It's like you don't know me at all. Be sure to check out part two coming a little later. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...