May 8, 2012

Week 13

Well, kiddo. You and me are in our last week of my first trimester. This is a real turning point in the
road. Before long I'll be showing and everyone in the world (or at least everyone I come into contact with) will know without a doubt that you are growing in there. Speaking of you growing in there, you are just constantly busy. Is that why you sleep so much after you're born? Speaking of things you'll do after you're born, you are developing your vocal cords this week. All I ask is that you use them for good and not evil. Be kind to your mom. Your head is now 1/3 the size of the rest of you. That's pretty exciting. You are just becoming more and more proportional with each day. Also this week, your intestines are moving from the umbilical cord to their permanent place inside you. I could say once again that you're having a big week but do you ever not have a big week? They are all big weeks for me. Can you believe that you're the size of a peach? That barely seems possible. You are already rocking my world, kid, and I just can't wait to meet you.

I've been having headaches. I have no clue if it's related to the pregnancy. If it's allergies. Or the weather. Whatever it is, I have headaches and they are unpleasant. I did read that headaches and home inspection, I got sick on the way there. I had Rob just pull over on the side of the road by some businesses off to the side. Well, while I'm getting sick by the side of the road, some lady drives up and asks if we are okay. We tell her I'm fine, just morning sickness. Which she tells me she understands but then continues to sit there and talk to us. I'm sorry but I really don't want someone watching, much less talking to me expecting me to answer while I'm throwing up on the side of the road. The whole experience was strange and a bit uncomfortable. It's bad enough to have to throw up in the first place but then on the side of the road where you have no privacy then you have a spectator. All in all not an ideal situation.
dizziness often follow the vomiting and nauseousness, but since I still have the vomiting I really think the headaches should hold off for at least another week. Speaking of vomiting, the morning sickness is starting to ease up a bit, but it's still there. In fact, I have a story for you: The other day when Rob and I were heading to have our

All women work. I know some of you are scratching your head and saying, 'I'm a stay-at-home mom. No, I don't.' Yes, you do. You don't get paid. You don't go into a place of employment that you stay at for eight hours (give or take) a day and you don't walk away with a paycheck. But you work. You work 24/7 at your job. Your extremely important job. But I'm not really here to debate working moms vs. stay-at-home moms. That's a topic for another day. Today's topic is actually more along the lines of being on a job and being pregnant, so sorry to all you stay-at-home moms this is more for those who go outside the home for their employment.

Being pregnant on the job can actually be pretty uncomfortable. During the first trimester, many women fight morning sickness. And what's more is that they try to hide their pregnancy since many don't reveal their pregnant until their second trimester. So you're sick (sometimes all the time) and trying to hide it. Not a comfortable situation. The second trimester (from what I'm told) is not so bad. It's the most comfortable of the three. But you still have some aches and pains, including some headaches and dizziness. And the third trimester, you might just be uncomfortable in general. It's just that simple.

So since I've very into lists right now (I know I think it's weird too), I have another one for you. Tips on staying comfortable while pregnant on the job.

#1: If you stand a lot then relieve some of the pressure off your back by shifting your weight from each foot. Or find something to at least put a knee on while you stand. Also try to sit or even actually walk as much as you can. Just standing still can be hard on the back sometimes.

#2: On the flip side, if you sit a lot on the job, stand up and move around. Just getting up and walking around can help. Also try putting your feet up when you're sitting.

#3: Wear loose, comfortable clothing. Don't wear anything too constricting. You'll just be uncomfortable.

#4: Go with light layers. One minute, you're burning up and the next you're cold. Try to keep your temperature regulated, which is hard enough but by wearing layers you can always shred layers or put more on.

#5: If you are having issues with your back, try adjusting your chair. Sometimes a simple adjust will help or you might consider bringing a small pillow to put behind your back while you're sitting.

#6: Drink lots of water. This is pretty much something you have to do all the time. Keeping yourself hydrated is always a good thing.

#7: Which also means you'll be needing to go to the bathroom more. Try not to hold it in. That's just uncomfortable even if you're not pregnant. Just saying.

#8: Make sure to eat. Bring snacks if you are finding yourself hungry often. You starve yourself, you starve the baby. Just take the time to eat.

#9: Listen to your body. If you're tried, then you might try taking a break. Don't push yourself to the point of exhaustion, that's not good on either one of you. Also be careful with lifting things. Don't over-extend yourself.

#10: Too much stress is bad. This goes along with listening to your body as well. You are always going to have some stress in your life but again take that break if you need it. Walk outside (but stay away from smokers!). Keep some deep breaths. Stress is not just bad for you but for the baby too. Stress = bad. Just remember that.

So what does this all mean for me? Well, it's stuff that I have definitely taken to heart. I always bring plenty of snacks with me. I may only work five hours but I feel like I get hungry every hour these days. I do have a sitting job, so I try to get up and walk around. Unfortunately my chair doesn't move and is horrible on my back, so I might have to start bringing a pillow soon to put behind my achy back. I have also been blessed with a very stress-free job. I have learned to bring multiple layers. Before getting pregnant I always ran cold, but lately I've been running hot. So I have been wearing tank tops with a jacket of some kind so I can adjust depending on how I'm feeling at that moment.

I know I might have it a bit easier on the job because of the stress-free, relaxed environment. I may not be saying such nice things if I was still working at that floral warehouse, where I was constantly lifting and climbing ladders (scary) and constantly in dust and dirt. In fact I have no idea what I would be doing if I was still there. So I know I have it easy in that regard because it's not something I have to worry about. And for those of you who do have to worry about it, you just have to find what comfortable and okay for you and make sure you have a conversation with your boss. Lot easier than it sounds, huh? But nobody ever said that pregnancy was easy in all fairness.


(Monday, April 30 - Sunday, May 6)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...