Jun 17, 2012

He's Gonna Be a Father

Rob is not a dad yet, but to me he already is. He's supportive. He's caring. He's excited. He's always there. He's a father merely just because while I fight all those moments of morning sickness because of our child, he is right there. He's holding my hair back, rubbing my back, giving me a cool washcloth. Although he disagrees that it doesn't necessarily make him a good father, it just makes him a good husband. And he is certainly a good husband, but I know if he's already this amazing through just my pregnancy that he'll be even more amazing once the baby is born.

So I wanted to give him a little something for Father's Day. Using that handy Pinterest I came up with a few ideas for him. All mostly DIY things all father related. Well all father-related things plus an Mountain Dew  and some Reese pieces. I made Stella pose with me and my small, but growing baby bump for a picture for a card. Plus I got a book for Rob to read to the baby, in and out of the womb. So, using a simple flower pot, I gathered all the gifts and DIY projects for his big Father's Day surprise.

One of the DIY projects I made was an ultrasound coaster for Rob to use on his desk:

I found small squares of pine wood from Michaels which were good coaster size. Or at least good enough for the coasters I wanted to make. After bringing them home, I chose one because that's all I needed in this case and painted it with white paint.

After it dried, which didn't take long, I used Mod Podge to glue the picture of the ultrasound on the coaster then used Mod Podge on the top to seal it. I let that dry then it's done! Just that simple.


I know the project isn't actually a work of art, but Rob will like it. He will be able to have it on the desk while he's working on all that Marine stuff he always seems to have to do and see the picture of our beautiful, growing baby.

The other DIY project I chose to do with this gift is even simpler:

Using the computer program, Gimp, taught to me by Rob, I created a 'FATHER' poster (for lack of a better word). I got the idea originally from Pinterest but put in my own words to describe him as a husband and who he's been through this pregnancy so far.

After creating it, I printed it out. It took a couple tries to get the right size down especially since I wasn't sure about what kind of frame I was going to put it in. I had to find the right frame before I could be sure about what size I would need.

After finding the right frame at Michael's - I had a very successful shopping trip there by the way - I was able to use one of the ones I printed out already. All I needed to do was cut it down to size and fit it into the frame and like magic....


The last bit was preparing the flower pot that everything is going in:

I thought about leaving it plain, but then decided that I did want to paint it after all. Definitely not necessary, but hey when I get bored this is what happens.

I first taped off the rim so I could do this two different colors. I didn't have a lot of paints, so I decided to work with what I already had. Which meant I had green, gray, black, light blue, or white. I bet you can guess by the picture below at least one color I decided on.

After getting the top painted, I waited for that to dry in order to paint the bottom. The best part of these paints is that they dry really quick. So I definitely didn't have to wait long for the paint to dry in order to do the bottom half. Which was done in black!

I wasn't going to paint the inside at first, but then decided to go ahead and do it. It definitely doesn't look pretty because it is not easy to paint the inside of a flower pot. But I did it and now it's done. I like not having any of the terracotta color left on it. Looks better? My painting skills need some work but it doesn't have to be perfect. Rob will love whatever I do. He knows I do my best and I'm sometimes creatively challenged.


So all that is left is to fill it and display it for Rob. And of course get his reaction. Which I'm totally leaving you hanging because I'm like that. Come back for part two on how Father's Day went and what Rob thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...