Sep 6, 2012

That Pesky Glucose Thing

If you have ever been pregnant then you'll know what I'm talking bout but if not then listen up because you'll have to go through this. Heading into the third trimester, you will have to endure a glucose test. Every office is different on how long the test is (1-hour screening test or straight to the 3-hour test) and when it is done, but here's my story...

My doctor warned me that my one-hour glucose test was happening during my week twenty-eight prenatal appointment. She told me how the appointment would go and to not go sugar happy right before the test because it can sway the results.

So for no reason, other than dreading the sugary drink which I heard horror stories about, I was nervous. I knew there was nothing I could do and the results of the test would be whatever the results would be. So I tried to stay calm and not get myself all worked up like I tend to do.

I went to my appointment as normal and peed in a cup, which I hate doing, and got weighed, which I gained two more pounds. Then I was sent back to the lab to drink my very sugary drink and get my hour of waiting started. I chose the orange flavor over the fruit punch and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Guess it helps to sometimes work something up in your head to be awful and so when it actually happens then it's not as bad as you thought it would be. I headed back to my doctor for my actual appointment, which would make the hour go by faster. The problem was that my blood pressure spiked, so I was instructed to lay on my left side later and on the fourth try, it was lowered and I could actually have my appointment. Everything else was good. I was told to start monitoring my blood pressure daily, but Addison was good. Then I went back to the lab to wait for the rest of my hour, which at this point was about ten-fifteen minutes. Then I was off on my merry way.

About a week after the appointment I got a call where I was informed that my levels were elevated, so I would have to have a 3-hour fasting glucose test. Fasting is not the word you want to hear as a pregnant lady. But I had to do it so I got it scheduled as early in the day as possible, and I would be fine.

I fasted and headed into the appointment armed with plenty to do. Three hours can be a long time of just sitting. I had my fasting blood draw then asked my drink of choice again. I was going to go with orange again, but they had none cold. So fruit punch it would be. I downed my drink and we were off and running. I read and wait. Addison bounced around like she was in a jump house from the sugar. Then about forty minutes in, I started feeling queasy. I quickly asked if I could have water and was given a cup. I hurried to the water fountain feeling worse. I tried to settle my stomach with a few sips of water, but it was too late. I didn't completely make it into the trash can but mostly did. Luckily no one was currently sitting in the waiting room. It was gross and embarrassing. And it meant I would have to endure this test again another day. I was instructed to lay down for awhile before I could leave. Then finally I decided I wanted to go home and sleep, so I was told to reschedule and I would be prescribed some anti-nausea medicine I would need to take before the next time.

So once again I headed back with an empty stomach except that medicine and my book. For what felt like the millionth time blood was drawn and I was given my options. I went back to the orange drink, remembering how awful throwing up the fruit punch was. I actually struggled even drinking it down, which made me worry about how this test would go if I can't even get down the drink initially. But I succeeded and even better it was staying down. And it continued to stay down. Every hour I was up for more blood to be taken, and before I knew it I made it through all three hours with no problems.

It was determined to not repeat this test for a third time. And to that goal I succeeded, and I even got a funny story to boot!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...