Jul 8, 2013

Wash ~ Dry ~ Fold ~ Repeat

Our laundry room/half bath was in desperate need of a makeover. There were marks all over the walls, the vanity is just sad, the mirror is probably one of the ugliest I've seen, the towel bar placement didn't make sure, and nobody wants to go to the bathroom and look at Stella's litter box. The room was just all around lifeless. But now it has life. It has a whole bunch of life. Granted there are still some improvements that I'm hoping to make to the room.

I love doing projects. I love tackling big projects like this although I may not get to do it very often, I think it's fun. Who doesn't love taking a room that is just sad and desperately needs a facelift and seeing it transform before their very eyes? But something I have learned is to make sure I know exactly what I want and cost before I tackle a project. I hate starting something then realizing that it was nothing like what I wanted and have to start all over and just lose out on the money I spent before. So although I have been wanting to change this room for the last year, I haven't made a change until now.

First thing I need to do was put together a wishlist for what I want to do to the room, so I knew what I was getting into. The list has changed over time but for the most part it has stayed the same at the heart of it.

Laundry Room To Do List: 

  • Paint the walls -- I wanted neutral colors for the walls, so I had decided early on I wanted a tan for the walls and a thick, horizontal stripe in chocolate brown around the entire room
  • New window curtain -- wanting to make myself and needs to be lined because it is on ground level and a bathroom, no one wants anyone peeking in even if it is just rabbits.
  • Table for folding -- once Rob decided he wanted to do woodworking, I knew that was my in as far as getting a custom table; luckily we were both excited, he even told me that he was really excited to start working on it
  • Curtain for folding table to hide Stella's litter box under -- I hate going down and seeing her litter everywhere, she is a messy cat and I hate having people use that bathroom with litter everywhere. You wouldn't think it but I do clean her litter every week but you know how cats are!
  • New towel hook -- there is a cheap bath towel bar in a weird place where you just ended up dripping water from your hands everywhere just trying to get to it, so that was definitely going without a second thought
  • New toilet paper holder -- this has been a major debate for this household which seems like such a weird thing to butt heads about but Rob doesn't have a problem with it, but truthfully it's half the reason I never use that bathroom: it's almost directly behind you on the right hand side so it's really awkward to get any toilet paper at all; I'm not sure how I'm going to fix it yet because there's no better place to put it other than on the vanity and that's not really an option so I'm thinking maybe a stand alone holder but I'm not sure, it might just end up where it was although it will be a new and updated one at least
  • New vanity -- this is a definitely a bigger project and one we will tackle when we table the next item on this list so it's farther down the line, but definitely one that will happen; the current vanity is just outdated, it too just needs a change, something more modern and not so ugly
  • New floor -- I'm currently okay with the floor but I'm definitely holding for a change; I'm not for certain what yet but since this is farther down on the list of things to happen around this house I don't have to have it all figured out yet; I have a few ideas but nothing I'm willing to share just yet
  • New mirror -- I kid you not: the ugly mirror ever!
  • Hamper -- this room is also our laundry room and things get thrown in there quite a bit and then just sit on the floor until I do laundry so it's something that would nice to have to get our random socks and Marine stuff off the floor
  • Shelving -- this is the room I have figured will be the best for storing cleaning supplies so I need some baby proof shelving so she can't get into anything; I have a very curious, very smart girl so I want to leave nothing to chance
  • Wall decor -- I have some ideas but nothing concrete yet but this is probably one of the things I'm most excited about
  • New light fixture -- although I would like to put in a new light fixture, this is probably one that is least likely to happen because it is probably the most unnecessary of all the things on this wishlist; however one of the lights instead of having a flood light it just has a normal light so you can see right up into it and that drives me crazy but an easy enough fix
Don't believe me how bad it is and that all that is on this wishlist needs to be done? Just take a look for yourself.







It's quite a wishlist but one I'm looking forward to tackling. I have done projects and updated things but nothing to this scale so I'm super excited to see the room as it changes and takes on a new life and how my ideas shape up over the course of changes and improvements.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...