Aug 19, 2013

27 Things I Have Learned

Yesterday was my 27th birthday. I was off and away enjoying my weekend down in Branson at Silver Dollar City. But it won't be my blog without a birthday post. Last year, I listed 26 things you may or may not know about me (read them here). And this year I want to share with you 27 things I have learned this year about myself, being a mom, a wife, and just every day things. So here we go:

#1: No matter how wide or how many times I open my mouth while feeding Addie, it will never and has never made her open hers wider.


#2: It is highly unlikely that anyone will ever kill me in the shower, home alone or not.

#3: Being a mom is hard and never-ending.

#4: I should always always tape off the ceiling when I paint. Messy painter party of one! (Read about my recent painting experience here.)

#5: Apparently hippos are happy, moose are grumpy, dogs are excited, rabbits are worried, frogs are content, chickens are sad and ducks are always angry. Or so I read.

#6: Remember to always use the guard when using a mandolin. It is really sharp and hurts really really bad.

#7: Cutting a baby's fingernails is probably the most stressful situation I have come up against - no lie. Kind of like driving on I-435 from Olathe to Independence during rush hour. Will they or won't they crash - will she or won't she jerk at the last minute?

#8: I don't check pockets before washing clothes and I really should. In just a few weeks time, I washed an ipod and a wallet.

#9: I'm not so good at sewing. I don't see eye-to-eye with the sewing machine. Or perhaps I just lack the patience for it. (For my sewing adventure, see here.)

#10: Hospital food wasn't as bad as I had imagined it would be. Turned out to be one of the best breakfasts I have ever had. Seriously.

#11: Even though I had never heard of gestational diabetes before I was pregnant and about to test for it, it turns out that is really sucks, completely changes the eating habits of a pregnant woman (definitely not fun!), and people don't really understand it. (Read about my experience with gestational diabetes, here, here, here, and here.)

#12: Although frustrating at times to not be able to do what we want when we want, when we look at the reason it is all worth it.

#13: The people who work in church nurseries are extremely patient.

#14: You can cook bacon in the oven. It comes out nice and crispy that way but without the grease mess. Definitely my way of making bacon - I hate the grease mess!

#15: When you travel with a baby, you pretty much take everything but the kitchen sink.

#16: The theme song to DuckTales is amazing. I'm not sure how Disney did it but she stops everything she is doing as soon as the song comes on. Thank you Disney!

#17: Going to the bathroom to shower, brush your teeth, do your hair, or even just to go pee is never really a solo activity when you become a mom. I can't tell you the times I have played peek-a-boo or sang a song at the top of my lungs while peeing. She thinks it's hilarious - I think it's weird but it works so I go with it!

#18: Reading takes a lot more effort than I remembered before having a kid. Sometimes mindlessly watching a movie or TV is just the way to go after an exhausting day.

#19: Think then rethink then think again about cutting my hair. Then try to remember every haircut I've ever had and how I felt about it. Short hair not for me - I have to start remembering that! I miss my long hair.


#20: Annual training is a whole new cup of tea when you have a small child. Being a single parent is completely and totally exhausting. Life is all around better when Rob is around. (And again, click here to read about it.)

#21: I have more motivation than I ever thought. I never thought I would do as well I have exercising, but I just kept pushing and done so much more than I thought possible.

#22: Baby laughter is one of the best things in the world. My own daughter laughing is the hands down the absolute best thing in the world.

#23: Breastfeeding was hard and at times frustrating. I never felt like it was a bonding experience for me and Addie. By the end, it just felt like something I had to do to feed my daughter. But despite how I felt, it was heartbreaking to stop three months shy of my goal, but in the end it was the best for Addie. (Here you go, read here and here.)

#24: Homemade pizza crust and sauce are extremely easy to make, totally worth it, and delicious. I will never buy store bought again! (I did a post about the crust but not about the sauce. If you want the sauce recipe, let me know and I will be more than happy to share it. Just to be clear, I didn't actually come up with the recipes myself. All the credit is due to Dinner: A Love Story.)

#25: It's a bad idea to shake the hubs awake when he's drifted off to sleep, exhausted from having a newborn and just having a drill weekend, when it is only the pizza man ringing the doorbell. There's a very good chance he will run like someone's chasing him and not actually wake up until he's laying on the floor at the bottom of the stairs he just fell down. Oops...

#26: There are those rare occasions when the movie is actually better than the book. I never thought I would say that, but it was a hard and disappointing lesson I learned this year....yeah, I don't want to talk about it....

#27: I thought things couldn't get much better after I met Rob and knew he was exactly what I was
waiting for. But I was wrong. Addison is an amazing little girl and makes life pretty dang amazing. Being a mom may be hard and I'm not exactly a natural at it, but it is worth every scream, every sacrificed moment of my own "me time," every dirty diaper, all the dreaded teeth. All the hard to handle moments pass, and we are left with a lot more amazing ones.


So there you go. I'm sure I learned more than 27 things. I hope I did at least, but there it is. I had an amazing birthday. And I look forward to another year. Here's hoping 27 is as awesome as 28!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...