Feb 4, 2014

Eat Dessert First: Apple Cream Tart

I haven't made a dessert in awhile. So I thought it was about time I got on that. I had been getting bored with cooking because there wasn't a lot of excitement anymore. On a regular basis, I don't have a lot of challenges because I have been doing it so long. It's not that I know everything but lately there just hasn't been much thrill, even when trying new recipes. So I decided that I wanted to bake and I wanted to bake something I had never done before. So I start browsing through the back of my cook book and came across this one which looked delicious...

Dessert Brought To You By: The Taste of Home Cookbook

Here's What You Need: 
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
3 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 egg yolks
Whipped cream, optional

Here's What You Do:
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press onto the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of a greased 9-inch springform pan.

Arrange the apples over crust. Combine the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over apples. Place plan on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

In a small bowl, beat cream and egg yolks; pour over apples. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until apples are tender and filling is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Serve with whipped cream if desired. Store in the refrigerator.
















One of the things I love about baking is that I have most of the stuff in the pantry already. I had to buy the apples but otherwise I had everything I needed, making this a pretty inexpensive one to make. It made it even better. But of course the real thing I love about baking is that I end up with a delicious dessert/bread/insert your baked item here that you get to devour and enjoy. Totally worth the time you have to put into it.

In the whole scheme of things this was actually really easy. I will admit that I was a little unsure of the crust at first. I know how to cut in butter. I know how to do it all, but I wasn't sure about the consistency. I wasn't sure that I built the sides up high enough. But I was going through with it. I was just going to be confident in what I did and go with it. The apples were easy enough to deal with. Who hasn't peeled and sliced up an apple in their life? However, when it told me to arrange the apples over the crust, I read it about a million times trying to figure out what that even meant. How was I supposed to arrange it? Were they supposed to be in one single layer? How thin were the slices actually supposed to be? What exactly was this even supposed to look like?

But since my book couldn't actually response to me, I just made a decision. I sliced the apples with my apple slicer then cut the slices in half to make them a little less thick. I made a bottom layer then started layering up another row. I had slices left after making the bottom layer and I figured that they said 3 apples so I should pretty much use it all up. So that's what I did. It wasn't the prettiest, but it worked. The rest of pretty easy. I was a little uneasy after pouring the whipping cream and yolk mixture in because I was afraid it was going to be higher than the crust that I was afraid I didn't build up tall enough. But it was what it was and it was going to turn out how it was going to turn out. Plus these are all learning experiences, right?

So I went with it and once it came out the oven, it smelled delicious and it looked pretty good. Of course I had the problem of storing it since I have no way to store pies/tarts/round cakes, but I figured something out and now had to wait until Rob got home to cut into this bad boy.

Which we did after dinner that night. I was a little worried the apples were tender enough or the cream wasn't set enough, but we were eating it regardless. We cut into it and it was pretty dang good. It was delicious. It looked good. I learned the apples probably could have been cut up a little smaller so they could get a little more tender, but it was still delicious. I was really pleased with how it turned out. It made it into our favorites. It sure didn't last but a couple days around here.

Addie enjoyed a bit of it too!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...