Mar 13, 2014

On the Kid's Table: Quesadillas

I've been a little lazy with new lunch ideas lately with Addison. It's not like we have to try new recipes all the time. We don't have something new everyday of the week. But I do like to shake things up. It keeps things interesting, plus she is always trying new things this way.

Our latest adventure is actually a re-adventure. Is that a real thing? Sure it is. We tried quesadillas a long time ago but she had no interest in them. But since I'm like an elephant and I never forget, I thought we would try these again.

However, we don't do just cheese quesadillas. I like to sneak in some vegetables and a bit of protein so she actually eats black bean, corn, and cheese quesadillas. And let me tell you these went over much much better.

Unfortunately I'm not a professional quesadilla maker and I made a big mess. Especially since the first time I decided to put two tortillas on top of each other. Flipping and even getting it on a plate was a disaster. We had corn and black beans everywhere. But live and learn, right?




She ate it regardless so what did I care. But since I don't actually care to make a bit mess all over my kitchen every lunch, I decided to try it differently. I used only tortilla, filled up one side, let the cheese melt a bit, then flipped the empty side on top (picture fail time - I forgot to take a picture but sometimes it's good to use your imagination). 




It was definitely less messy and the way to go. With this meal I gave her some pears slices, raisins, and cottage cheese. That's not a bad meal for a 16-month old. She's living in style. I think I'm just lucky I have a girl who eat everything. 

Well....almost everything. Turns out she's not a big of the actual tortilla. Who would have thought?! Everyday for the last few lunches, she has been opening up the quarters, eating out of the black beans, corn, and cheese then leaving the tortilla behind. 


Not sure why she's suddenly doing that. She's had tortillas before and liked them, so who knows. It's just one of those things. At least she likes the insides I guess. And I'll continue giving them to her in full quesadilla form and maybe she'll start eating the tortilla again one day. You never know.

This is definitely one of my favorite lunch ideas for her. Minus the mess she makes leaving the tortilla behind. She likes it. It's different than just pb & j, which is just messy messy messy. It's easy to make, and you can do as much variety as you want with the actual quesadilla insides. Love it! And apparently so does she!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...