Jul 21, 2014

Give Me A Hook to Hang a Towel On

And yes, I was singing "give me a kiss to build a dream on" in my head while typing that title.

Clearly this post has nothing to do with kissing or dreaming, but more to do with hooks and towels. Well, a little less about the towels and more about the hooks.

In our main bathroom, we have a towel bar as many bathrooms have, but I decided that I wanted hooks. If we have company or more than one child, the towel bar limits how many towels we can hang up at a time and I'm not crazy about the idea of wet towels everywhere, so I decided I wanted to hang three hooks in the bathroom.

I'll be honest, I really thought I would be a quick easy project. I never expected it to turn into the project it did, although I probably shouldn't have been surprised.

Sorry about the color. 
It started simple enough. Take some screws out and take it off the wall. The plan was then to putty up the wall and paint then hang up the hooks. And before you could say the title of this post, the project was done.

But I discovered a problem almost immediately. When the previous owners hung up this towel bar, they used anchors and just used the towel bar to cover up the previous anchors and holes from the towel bar that must have been hanging up before. Of course.



So now I had much bigger holes to patch because I had to take the anchors out in order to have a smooth wall. Rob actually did the anchor removal and I stood to the side, probably muttering under my breath about how I shouldn't have been surprised and how much I don't like the previous owners because things like this keep popping up.



So now the holes were a lot bigger and it wasn't a matter of just putting a little putty in there. I would have to go out and buy a patch because I didn't have anything big enough. This project was suddenly turning into way more than I wanted.

But I had started so there was nothing to do but continue on. So I patched and puttied.





Although I am no pro, I deemed it good enough and went looking through the paint we had downstairs. We had three different beige paints, so I picked the one I thought was the closest and went from there.




Yes it just kept going from bad to worse. At this point I was ready to go out and buy a completely new paint color for the entire bathroom because I was so tired of all the beige. I was just mad and decided to just walk away from the project for a day or so.

However, the problem was we now had nowhere to hang the couple of towels we kept in there and need to hang the hooks at least temporarily.



It was like that for a week or so before we finally got a piece taken off the wall to take up to Home Depot for a color match. So down two of the hooks went again for even more painting.



I'm going to pause right here to point something out.


Notice how that perfectly cut square wasn't there before? Not realizing it, Rob cut the paint chip from the wall here instead of behind the toilet or somewhere else hard to see. He figured that since he cut one layer of paint then one layer should fix it. that's not really how that works. And I didn't have any more patches left so it was just going to have to be like that for awhile.

By this point the paint was starting to dry and we were definitely the closest we had been so far. But it needed at least one more coat.



This was seriously becoming an exhausting project. I was done. Or at least I wanted to be and hoped I finally was. By the time it dried it look close, so the hooks went back up.


In all fairness you can't the color difference in person but you definitely can on camera. So I have a solution.


Problem solved!

The truth is that I will probably eventually completely repaint that bathroom. On our project list, after windows are done, we plan to save up and have both showers over-hauled. But that's for another day. I also have future plans for new towels and maybe an 'A' over Addie's hook. I haven't completely decided where we go from here. What I do know is that it's better we just leave three towels on the hooks.

Maybe I should have gone with the kissing and dreaming after all....


2 comments:

  1. This was seriously hilarious.... sorry to laugh at your hardships but holy cow! All you really could do was laugh! We rent wherever we go and always run into problems like this where the person before us just ghetto-rigged it. Sigh. With that being said, I think the towels look great on their new hooks!
    xo, Sarah @movingeastonwest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laugh about it now. It really was one disaster after another!

      Delete

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...