Apr 28, 2015

Blogging

I have been doing this for years now and I have learned a lot over those years. I'm certainly no expert on the matter. I just have a humble little blog here that I write because I enjoy it. I'm certainly not making a living off this blog. But I enjoy writing here everyday and sharing our lives.

But there are some things that I have learned about blogging over the years to grow a blog. Or even just keep yourself writing on a regular basis and keep people interested.


So here is my completely not expert advice on blogging:

Include pictures // it attracts people and pretty to look at

Find your voice and be proud of it // when I first started I thought I needed to write a certain way to get anyone to read but I struggled everyday with writing, not because I didn't have topics but because
I was trying to write in a way that wasn't my own. Once I figured out my voice, which for me is often in a way as if we were actually having a conversation, frankly I write how I talk, I easily started sharing more posts. 

Find your thing // if you love fashion then go for it, if you love cooking then tell the world. It took some time for me to figure out what Defying Gravity was really about and truthfully it has evolved over the years. But I have found that i love talking about my family and our beautiful mess, hence the tag line: our beautiful mess. That gives me, I feel, a chance to write about a wide variety of topics easily. 

Write because you love it // I have a pretty good readership now and I love that but I would honestly still write if no one read because I love writing and even more do about my family. I love being able to document all these memories. Write because that's what you love to do and want to do, and it will definitely be more fun.

Write as often or as little as you want // don't worry if other people make comments because you haven't blogged in a week and even more don't feel bad or guilty if you haven't. The thing that is most important is living your life and don't let blogging get in the way. I say blog because you love and enjoy it but if it becomes a chore then take a break. If you take some time away, don't feel guilty. Take the time and come back when you want. If you have good readers then they'll come back with you. And if they don't then write for you if that's what you enjoy doing.


Personally I love blogging. I love sharing our lives. I love posting pictures. I love writing. I love all that comes with it. It's not that I don't get tired and burnt out. Just like with any job, sometimes I just need a break. But for as long as I love writing, I'll keep writing here on Defying Gravity. And I can't even begin to describe how happy I am I have so many memories on here that I might not have documented otherwise.

xo, B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...