May 22, 2015

Rotten Red Robots Running Rapidly Around the Roof // Happy Friday

That's a mouth full. Try saying that five times fast.

When I was younger I couldn't pronounce my 'r's. They would almost sound like a 'w.' And don't even get me started on words that had both a 'w' and a 'r.' I used to pucker my lips instead of smiling basically. I was a little hard to understand at times.

So in elementary school I was put in speech to get help. Turns out I didn't get much help. I really just missed the lessons on phonics, and to this day I know nothing about phonics.

But every day before dinner, my parents would have me say 'rotten red robots running rapidly around the roof.' Then we could eat. As time went on I became easier to understand until I didn't have that problem anymore. The only time it shows its ugly face is when I'm tired but most people don't notice because I correct myself pretty quickly. There are some words I actually still struggle with. And don't even ask me to sound out a word. But you know, I do okay.

The reason I bring all this up is because for one it's a funny story but it's a story I related recently to our Infant Toddler Services person and she made a comment about what good parents I had. Repetition is key when there is a problem. I had a problem with my speech growing up.

And now my kid is delayed in language. So I am learning that repetition is the key with her as well. We have to just keep talking to her and encouraging her. We praise the small things. She may not get the whole world but if she gets any part of the word then she gets all kinds of praise.

I can happily report that she has come so far. She is talking so much more. Other people, not just me although I understand more than everyone else, can actually understand what she's saying now. She won't be saying 'rotten red robots running rapidly around the roof' anytime soon. But she's finally talking so that's what I care about now.


I love that kid.

Have a great long weekend and I'll be back on Tuesday!
Happy Friday!

xo, B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...