Jan 27, 2011

“The more that you read, the more things you will know." The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” - Dr. Seuss

I had been reading the Harry Potter series but I have gotten myself stuck on the fourth one, which also happens to be my least favorite one in the bunch. I just don't like it - the book or the movie - and I don't really know why. So I found myself in a reading runt. And I pulled myself out the only way I knew how - read another book.

I just finished Just Take My Heart by Mary Higgins Clark. And I read the 300 plus page book in three days. It just made me want to keep reading. It was exciting and thrilling and a mystery. It made me mad and sad and happy and laugh. I was basically was the full rainbow. And sometimes I feel silly when I read a book and laugh out aloud or get teary-eyed. But that's the point of a book. You're supposed to get sucked in and you're supposed to leave your world behind and take on this other world. And that's what I love about books. Because no matter what's going on in my life, I can go to someone else's world, even if it's just for a little while, and escape my own. I will admit that sometimes I come back to my world after reading this other one and wonder what I did wrong and why I can't get it all fixed like in the book. And sometimes I come back to my world and realize that I have it pretty dang good.

It just amazes me when people say that they don't read because I wonder where they go and escape to. And I know everyone has their own methods to escape from the world we're living in, which we all need, but sometimes those methods aren't the best choice. I just find that books are the most rewarding. Granted I love movies, almost to a fault I love movies. But there's something different about using your own imagination to envision the world in the book and the people and all the little quirks. It just brings your mind alive.

So now after finishing my page-turning last book, I now begin another. It's called How to Bake a Perfect Life. I know nothing about this book other than what it says on the back and the picture on the cover. And let's just face it, every book I have ever picked up I have judged by the cover and I have yet to read a book that I just hated. So we'll see how this one goes.

~B~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...