Sep 3, 2011

#22 Learn Sign Language

22. Learn sign language

Oh my life list #22 is to learn sign language. And I have finally started the journey towards learning. I know the alphabet. I know how to say 'thank you,' 'you're welcome,' 'please,' computer, cat, and a few other random words.

I can't tell you exactly why I ever wanted to learn sign language but for quite a long time I have been wanting to learn sign language. So a while back Rob had bought me this kit with flashcards with beginner words of sign language. And finally a couple days ago I picked it up and taught myself my alphabet. Then I proceeded to teach Rob when he got home later. And ever since randomly throughout the day I practice. I run through the alphabet then I spell random words.

I'm not great at it yet and I am only just learning it all but it's kind of fun. It's basically like learning another language but I enjoy this a lot more. I took Spanish in high school and college and it was frustrating because my tongue doesn't like to work with my brain and I have trouble getting the word out. Heck, I have trouble doing that in the English language so just imagine in another language. But with sign language it's with your hands. It's communicating a whole different way.

My hope is to continue learning and practicing and maybe one day be good enough and comfortable enough to volunteer at the School of Deaf here in Olathe. And then one day teach my kids sign language as they are learning to talk in order for them to communicate another way. It may all seem like a pipe-dream but again if there is anything I'm good at it is dreaming. I'm an expert at it.

But anyway, I have been enjoying learning sign language and I hope to learn more. So we did come to a standstill in regards to my life list there for awhile, but now we are working towards something again. Go me go!


**Side note: On my life list I really wanted to learn how to fold an origami crane. Well, I finally did. In the game Heavy Rain, as you are waiting for it to load they teach you how to fold a crane and they even provide the piece of paper. Well, it took like two days for me to figure it out and an online guide in order for me to figure it out, but I finally did it. Well, a couple weeks ago I noticed that my origami crane had all these little bite marks in it. Apparently Stella didn't like the origami crane and took it upon herself to chew it. Sad. But I still folded one and let me just say, it's not easy and I won't be doing it again anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...