Oct 6, 2011

How to Boil Water: Fresh Vegetable and Tortellini Pasta Salad with Tomato and Basil Soup

Another success! This meal was actually really good. I was surprised how much I actually liked this meal because I just wasn't sure about it. I mean asparagus, spinach, basic tomato soup. I was not feeling this meal but I had picked it out for a reason so I was ready to take it on. I may not have been too eager to actually cook tonight and when I say I may not, I actually mean I certainly did not want to cook. I was fighting it but then I decided to it was either cook or we eat Stella - so since I kinda like Stella I was going to cook.

And on the menu tonight was Fresh Vegetable and Tortellini Pasta Salad with Tomato and Basil Soup. And they were both delicious. Both definitely going into the faves book. So you know what comes next...

Fresh Vegetable and Tortellini Pasta Salad
Ingredients:
1 (9-ounce) package fresh rainbow five-cheese tortellini -- So I couldn't find the five-cheese tortellini. I looked but just couldn't find it, so I went with my regular old three-cheese non-rainbow tortellini. The meal may not have been as colorful but it was still just as good with just the three-cheese
2 cups (1-inch) sliced asparagus (about 1/2 pound)
2 teaspoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted -- So just typing this I have learned that I didn't read this very closely while I was cooking and I was supposed to actually toasted my pine nuts. 

Directions:
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic; saute 1 minute. Add spinach, salt and pepper; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts.

Meanwhile, prepared tortellini according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

Add the spinach mixture into a large bowl.

Add asparagus to the tortellini during the last three minutes of cooking. When finished, drain pasta and asparagus; rinse with cold water. 

Combine the pasta mixture with the spinach mixture in bowl. Add lemon juice and toss gently to coat. Top servings evenly with cheese and nuts.










It was actually really really good. We enjoyed this meal a lot. And with this we made Tomato and Basil Soup.

Ingredients:
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chick broth
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Directions:
Place tomatoes in a medium saucepan. Using kitchen shears, snip tomatoes until coarsely chopped. Stir in broth and sugar. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.

Remove from heat; stir in basil and oil. Let soup stand 3 minutes.




So very simple but really good. It's basically fancy tomato soup. And that's surprising that I would like it because I have never like tomato soup. It had a bit of a kick to it but it was still pretty good. I enjoyed it thoroughly and Rob certainly loved it. 


And there you have it. Another delicious meals. I'm really quite impressed with myself because I have been doing really good with the meals lately. I really haven't cooked too many duds. They have all been delicious and wonderful. This one will be great in the winter when you want soup to warm you up. I'm loving that I'm doing so good with all these meals.

Tomorrow is Spinach-Feta Greek Pizza - it is Friday after all, so of course there must be pizza. This is a recipe that I have made a couple times before and we definitely like it, but after going through my posts to link that post with this one, but I discovered I have not written about it yet so I'll see you tomorrow for another yummy edition! 

1 comment:

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...