Apr 30, 2012

How 'Bout Them Reads: Magnolia Wednesdays

See I told you my method would work like a charm. Just get me reading again and I'm back on track. Which is exactly why I finished another book. I think I'm doing pretty good towards my 52 book goal. Just chucking along. Book after book. I do have a lot of unread books on my bookshelf, and this is helping me get through them. Reading is fun and relaxing though. Rob and I have already decided that we want to expose our children to as many books as we can. There so much that can be learned from books. There so much you can get from them. But that's not what we're here for. We are here because I finished another book. And I would bet it's one you've never heard of before. The book is Magnolia Wednesdays  by Wendy Wax.

via
Vivien Gray is an investigative reporter who finds herself without a job, pregnant at forty-one, embarrassed by the youtube video that posted of her getting shot in the butt during a report, and miles from the father of her baby who works in the Middle East as a reporter. After failing to get hired anywhere, she finally ends up taking a job writing a column about suburban life. Which all takes her back her hometown near Atlanta. Without giving too much detail away, she tells everyone she's back to recuperate. Life in the suburbans was very different and Vivien found herself with plenty to write about to make the column gold to her editor.

But soon Vivien finds herself connecting again with her sister, Melanie, and her two kids, and even making friends at her sister's dance studio that Melanie drags her to every Wednesday for a belly dancing class. Vivien begins to feel the guilt over her keep the secret of the baby from her boyfriend and the column she was writing in secret under a different name.

---------------------
And it was another one of those books I ended up picking up when Borders was going out of business and all the books were super cheap. I didn't truly know what to expect when I started reading this book. It was a little slow and I was having trouble really getting into it. But I just kept reading, much as I always do. And I actually love this book. The characters all have flaws and battles that anyone (especially women) can relate to.

It seems that I have had a lot of books lately that has taken me by surprise and I have loved them. They haven't been written by the big-name authors but are usually these unheard of books. And I am extremely glad that I found them and added them to my collection.

23/52

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...