Jun 5, 2012

Chapter 4: She Sure Ain't Jillian

Confession: I am obsessed with Jillian Michaels. I have almost all her DVDs, and even pregnant and not allowed to do her workouts I got her newest DVD. I'm quite certain Rob thinks I'm crazy and need help.

That all being said. I have started a workout program designed specifically for us preggos out there. There is even a workout for each trimester. And I just want to say: She Sure Ain't Jillian. Unlike Jillian who is telling me to give everything I have for 30-40 minutes and that she wants me to "feel like I'm going to die," My new DVD instructor is encouraging me to take frequent breaks and sit down during upper body exercises.

There is certainly nothing wrong with exercising during pregnancy. In fact, it is encourage with having many benefits:

#1: A healthier placenta (which we all know is vital to the baby).

#2: Quicker return to pre-pregnancy weight/body

#3: Feel better

#4: Can relieve common pregnancy symptoms/complaints such as constipation, swelling, cramps, nausea, varicose veins, insomnia, fatigue, back pain and urinary incontinence

#5: Improve energy levels, mood, and circulation

#6: Easier labor and delivery. There are no guarantees but woman who have exercised through their pregnancy tends to have shorter labors.

The last one alone is enough to motivate me to workout during my pregnancy. Not only are there benefits for me, but there are a few benefits for the baby as well.

#1: Babies tend to be born at a healthier weight and can recover from the stress of birth more quickly.
#2: Some research show that babies with moms who exercise are smarter.
#3: Tend to sleep through the night sooner, less prone to colic, and are better able to soothe themselves.

Let's just face it, our baby is already going to be a genius because just look at who his father is. Or at least he'll have the well-round thing down. Rob's good with math and science and I'm good with English and history. See, genius!

But like with all things relating to pregnancy, there are restrictions and guidelines. And things you want to steer clear of when exercising while pregnant:

#1: Exercising to exhaustion - It's not about completely wearing yourself and your body out.
#2: Doing exercises on your back during the second and third trimesters.
#3: Getting overheated - Make sure you are in a well-cooled room, drink plenty of water, wear loose clothing.
#4: Any activities where you risk falling or hurting your abdomen
#5: Scuba diving - Save your deep-sea exploring for after our baby comes.

So now with all your knowledge of what I can't do and all those benefits, what am I doing and how am I doing with all of this?

I chose a workout from Moms into Fitness created by Lindsey Brins. The DVD has a workout for each trimester including post-baby. Throughout the entire workout, she keeps stating that you need to stay between a 5 & 8 on a 10-point scale. 1 being basic activities like getting dressed, and 10 being all out exercise and not being able to maintain for more than 30 seconds. Basically it's important to keep my heart rate under 140. You don't want to keep it too elevated for too long. So throughout the workout, she encourages you to rest if necessary, just as long as you stay between that 5 & 8. So not Jillian.

via
So working out is not easy while pregnant. It's not easy when you aren't pregnant. But with your body naturally more sore, it still wears on your body. I never realized how weak my arms are. I gotta beef up before I have to pick up and hold a baby. But I have high hopes that this will all help, including my achy back and hips. I hope this gives me more energy (which I already have just because I'm done with the first trimester), and helps to continue to make me feel better. If this helps me and the baby in the long run then it's worth every minute.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...