Oct 10, 2012

That Very Witch-Black Cat-Boo-Batty Kind of Halloween

In Monday's post I mentioned that I had been doing some decorating, but then talked the entire time about the front door wreath, which I am incredibly proud of if I may say so myself. But today is all about what decorations went on throughout the rest of the house, i.e. the mantel.

We have this nice, long mantel now at our house and although I haven't exactly figured out what I want done with it throughout the majority of the year I did decide that I wanted to decorate for Halloween. But I wanted to go with as many DIY projects as possible. (I'm nesting and need something to do while I wait for my little girl's arrival - give me a break.) So I came up with some ideas and headed out to Hobby Lobby (during Rob's drill weekend - see how nice I am to not make him go with me and wander around for hours) to pick up a few items. Then I headed back home again and got to work. After an afternoon spent, I got my desired Halloween-effect and I must say that I love it. 

First I started out with something simple. So simple all I needed was to get a frame and use my printer. I found this print-off on pinterest and liked it, so it was a simple and expensive first project (especially considering I got the frame for 50% off at Hobby Lobby) 


Next I collected four small canvases and covered them with some Halloween scrapbook paper. After covering them I used silhouettes of Halloween images I found online and painstakingly cut them each out. Trust me when I say that this was not an easy feat. But I got through it and they were definitely not perfectly cut, but you can't really tell when you look at them. Then I glued those images on the scrapbook-paper covered canvases and tada!


The last project was to take those wooden letters (that you can find pretty cheap at craft stores), cover them with spiderweb scrapbook paper then paint the rest of it black. I'll admit that they didn't exactly turn out like I wanted them to, but that might be because I didn't exactly find the right kind of letters. But at least for this year, I'm satisfied with the result.


Then I figured out how I wanted all of it on the mantel, put up the few things we already had and just like that I had a Halloween-centric mantel!





And this concludes my Halloween decorating this year...well, other than carving pumpkins. Nesting instincts on high gear or not, I enjoyed working these projects and coming up with my own twists to things I have seen on pinterest. It's like my own pinterest challenge. Anyone else decorate for Halloween with your own DIY projects this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...