Jan 6, 2014

Sense, Learn, and Play: Apple Pie Spice Play Dough

First of all I want to say that I can't take credit for this play dough recipe. I originally found this recipe on Living on Love. I saw this and I thought that this would be fun to try. It would be something new to play with. It would be a new texture for her to touch. We are always looking for fun, different things to do during the day. And what kid doesn't love play dough?!

To make the play dough:
1 cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup flour
1/3 cup salt
1 heaping tablespoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon apple pie spice
red food coloring

In a a medium sauce pan, combine all of the ingredients, except the food coloring. Stir in the mixture over medium heat until it comes together, about 3 to 4 minutes. The mixture will start chunky but it will smooth out.

Put the ball of dough on a cutting board and flatten to cool. Once it's cool enough to touch, add a few drops of food coloring. Using a metal spoon (although I did find that it was easier to use my hands than a spoon - maybe that came from all that baking I do), turn and knead the dough until it's bright apple red.

When it's cool, let your kid have the ball of play dough. Use cups, spoons, cookie cutters, and other kitchen gadgets to play with. Store the play dough in an airtight container, and it will last several weeks.



That looks really gross actually. Yuck!
 

It was really easy to make, once I ditched the metal spoon. Plus, it smelled delicious. Seriously delicious. Every time I open the container that holds the play dough, I think of Thanksgiving and yummyness. (I made up this word, yes I know. My blog, I can do that. Don't judge!)

Just like the instructions said, I let the play dough cool, put Addie on the floor and gave her the play dough.






Well, Addison checked it out. Put it into her mouth - what doesn't she put in her mouth?! Touched it again, then wiped her hand off on pants with a disgusted looked. Seriously?! My kid doesn't love play dough! It's hard to believe to be honest. But I'm not completely surprised. She doesn't like to touch new things.

So she wasn't a fan of the play dough. She did, however, like the container it was in. She was also a big fan when I played with it. I see a cute video in our future....


I told you. That kid is seriously cute. (P.S. I was just throwing a ball of play dough into the air and catching it. It's a little bouncy because the camera was balanced on my knee. And it was all good until she spotted the camera - which is also pretty cute - and it was all serious then. Busted!)

We will try play dough another time. Maybe when we stop trying to eat everything. I'm sure she'll come around to it. The important thing was that we tried something new, we played together, we laughed together.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...