Aug 3, 2011

Front-Entryway-Overhaul-at-the-Evans

Remember way back when when I was feeling incapable of doing anything, and I desperately wanted to do a DYI project? And then the next post I did a very small project in my front entryway, which already helped the area so very much but still it wasn't enough for me.

So I have been have this overwhelming feeling like the apartment is closing in on me, so yesterday we started a major clean out. It's always nice to get rid of a whole bunch of stuff that you don't need or want. There is no sense in keeping all this stuff that is not necessary for life.

But recently I have become addicted to Pinterest. It's fun to look through all these new ideas and come up with new ways to make life more colorful and easier for yourself. Which is why I have suddenly felt inspired to tab into my artistically challenged side and try to change things up a little.

So we go back to the front entryway again.....

I found several ideas on Pinterest that I thought was cute and wanted to copy. I thought it would look good in the front entryway on the bookshelf. I always felt there was a bit of a hole on the bookshelf so I thought this would be a cool idea. But not really wanting to spend money on a piece of paper and a picture frame, so I started to think through what I wanted mine to say, especially considering I saw several different ones with different words. So I created my own on the computer and printed it out on a plain piece of paper.


Next I picked the right frame. I wanted one that had white mounting so it wasn't just black background, black frame. I wanted that white contrast like I saw on Pinterest. 


I then measured and cut the paper to fit in the frame.


And it was that easy.



But that wasn't it for the front entryway. There was still another project to tackle. 


We moved things around and put our games down there because we were really looking for a better place to put them. But I really didn't want that to be the first thing I saw when I walked in. It's not the prettiest sight in the world. I guess it shows that we are fun, game-loving people and that's the impression you get of us when you come in. But that's not exactly the one I want. So what I decided to do was cover it all up. 

Initially I had decided to go with a blue, white and yellow theme up there so I thought this was a different kind of fabric to use as a cover. It had the yellow, but with the punch of black that goes with the frame.


I'm not all that great at sewing but I gave it a good old fashion try. It wasn't that hard. All I need to do was make the hems and the space to put the curtain rod through. Which by the way I had a curtain rod that fit and I didn't have to buy one. But I used my pins and pulled out my sewing machine and decided to give it a shot.



And I would really like it if no one looked too closely at the hems because they are definitely not in a straight line but this is the first time I have really used my sewing machine and lacking sewing skills in years. Yes, years! But I did okay and it all turned out pretty well if you ask me. 

After I finished all of that I hung it up on my already existing curtain rod that I put on the bookshelf and it worked perfectly. 




Now I'm thinking of still painting the white bookshelf. Navy? Blue? Black? Gray? What do we think? A darker blue maybe? I can't seem to decide so for now it's going to white until I can make up my mind. I will gladly take suggestions and thoughts about the painting matter. So?


So what do we think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

A Day in the Life ( 63 ) A Little Extra ( 12 ) A Pregnancy Story ( 53 ) Addison ( 438 ) anniversary ( 42 ) apartment ( 10 ) baby ( 12 ) baking ( 21 ) Beautiful Mess Plans Co ( 3 ) Becca ( 289 ) birthday ( 44 ) Blue Apron ( 17 ) books ( 77 ) breastfeeding ( 6 ) bullet journal ( 21 ) Bump to Baby ( 41 ) Christmas ( 30 ) comparison ( 1 ) Connor ( 105 ) cooking ( 158 ) currently ( 27 ) date ( 18 ) dating ( 2 ) declutter ( 4 ) Decorate with me ( 5 ) Defying Gravity ( 28 ) DIY ( 39 ) Easter ( 8 ) Eat Dessert First ( 17 ) Emma ( 38 ) Every Day Conversations ( 20 ) Every Day Conversations: Kid Edition ( 8 ) exercise ( 62 ) fall ( 10 ) family ( 78 ) Father's Day ( 6 ) Fight Like a Girl ( 10 ) food ( 187 ) Foodstirs ( 2 ) Friday Five ( 11 ) garden ( 2 ) gestational diabetes ( 5 ) God ( 2 ) Halloween ( 24 ) Happy Friday ( 272 ) holiday ( 65 ) home ( 15 ) honeymoon ( 8 ) house ( 78 ) How 'Bout Them Reads ( 64 ) How to Boil Water ( 123 ) Independence Day ( 4 ) job ( 4 ) laughter ( 1 ) life ( 1 ) life list ( 9 ) loss ( 4 ) Making the Cut ( 58 ) Marines ( 29 ) marriage ( 33 ) Meal Prep ( 4 ) Mommy & Me ( 7 ) Mother's Day ( 5 ) Nanowrimo ( 21 ) New Years ( 8 ) On the Kid's Table ( 12 ) Our Beautiful Mess ( 7 ) Our Beautiful Mess Shop ( 20 ) Our Weekend in Photographs ( 124 ) parenting ( 94 ) PCOS ( 7 ) Photo Every Hour ( 1 ) planner ( 4 ) planning ( 2 ) postpartum ( 6 ) potty training ( 3 ) pregancy ( 1 ) pregnancy ( 162 ) Preptober ( 3 ) random thoughts ( 130 ) reading ( 70 ) Reading Challenge ( 65 ) Rob ( 234 ) SAHM ( 16 ) school ( 21 ) secondary infertility ( 9 ) Sense Learn Play ( 6 ) slow cooker ( 3 ) spring ( 16 ) Spring Break ( 1 ) stay at home ( 4 ) Stella ( 38 ) summer ( 22 ) Thanksgiving ( 15 ) Three Ladies & Their Gents ( 23 ) Throwback ( 1 ) vacation ( 4 ) Valentine's Day ( 13 ) video ( 20 ) wedding ( 21 ) week-by-week ( 50 ) winter ( 9 ) word of the month ( 5 ) Wordless Wednesday ( 41 ) Wreck this Journal ( 1 ) writing ( 21 ) Year in Review ( 11 )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...